The more that you read,
the more things you'll know.
The more that you learn,
the more places you'll go.
{dr. seuss}

May 8, 2010

Yea I'm {white}!!!!!

There is one hard thing about living at BYU Hawaii. There are many "special" people who think that being white is a bad thing. I am sick and tired of being referred to as white, being teased because I am white and being excluded from groups because I am white!
Why does it matter that I am white?!??!?! I'm not any different from a Tahitian girl. We're both beautiful in our own way. We both have lives of which we are trying to live. Lastly we are both daughters of God. So my question is "Why is one being treated badly because of her skin color?"

I guess I really don't care for the answer... I just don't get why being white is such a bad thing. A lot of beautiful things are white.
~ Snow
~ Clouds
~ Doves
~ Flowers
~ Baby Harp Seals
~ Lions
~ Tigers
~ Bears
~ Oh my....

Anyway, I know I shouldn't be so upset about this but, it kills me that someone is making fun of who I am. I do not think they realize what they're doing by saying things against being white, but it still isn't fun to endure.
I am white. I am beautiful. I am who I am. Anyone that has a problem with that can just deal with it. It's their problem, not mine!

Phew, now I feel better.
You know what else is white... and very useful? Toilet Paper!!!!!

4 comments:

Katrina said...

ANd you really aren't even that white!! LOL

Sorry you get teased...but I'm sure it isn't the majority that tease you, is it?! Just doesn't sound like a polynesian type thing to Do! But I guess there are some prices to pay to live in paradise! ;)

Love you...even if you are like toilet paper!! Ha ha;)

m. said...

I'm sorry! Being teased about what color you are can really hurt. I know how you feel. I get teased about being brown,haha. But I learned to make a joke out of it when someone would tease me. And plus, you're freakin' tan! So you're not really white, you're tan! But hey, you're beautiful, wonderful, intelligent, amazing and I like that you are white! Love you!

Barb said...

I am glad you have the blessing to feel what it is like to be the victim of racism. It is very painful and a good thing to be aware of. Not many white people get to experience "reverse racism". I hope it helps you to fight the fight when you are in the majority and in the minority. You are right "white is beautiful" as is every skin color so shout loud and clear!

Brittany Gearheart said...

come back to utah where everyone is white. :)