The more that you read,
the more things you'll know.
The more that you learn,
the more places you'll go.
{dr. seuss}

October 5, 2010

I have Promises to Keep

If you watched conference, you saw the our beloved Prophet, Thomas S. Monson. However, I heard something that he said which caught my attention. He said "I have miles to go before I sleep and promises to keep". My mind went crazy because I knew EXACTLY what he meant. President Monson was quoting Robert Frost's poem "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening".

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there's some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.



I Love this poem for a million reasons! However, the one point I think has helped me the most is the poem's simplicity. President Uchtdorf mentioned bringing the Gospel back to the basics and remembering the simplicity of the church and I think that it is super important that we do that. The gospel, and the way we teach others about it is one of our main purposes in life. Our duty to bring others unto Christ cannot be ignored or forgotten. That is why we have miles to go before we sleep. We made a promise to Heavenly Father that we would do everything we could to get back to him and bring as many as we can with us. I will forever keep that promise

2 comments:

Katrina said...

How cool that you knew what he was quoting! Look at you! :) I definitely wouldn't have remembered this poem after not hearing it/reading it for a long time.

It is true that we made promises and that the Lord will help us to keep those promises.

Barb said...

I think you found your calling....you ARE an English major through and through...otherwise you would not have recognized the poem. I love your insights. You are very spiritually mature. I am proud of you. Thanks for sharing.