The more that you read,
the more things you'll know.
The more that you learn,
the more places you'll go.
{dr. seuss}

January 22, 2011

I've been thinking...

I have been working all weekend and it's given me a lot of thinking time. And this is what I've been thinking about... I need a few more resolutions!
I've been feeling like something's missing in my life and I couldn't really figure it out. Then last night it struck me... I feel like I don't invite the spirit into my life enough! I thought about it a little harder, read some scriptures about the spirit and came to a few conclusions.

a) I'm not reading my scriptures or saying my prayers enough to make it effective. I do it... but not vigilantly and not with purpose. What am I gonna do about it? I'll tell you!
- I put up a lovely reminder which I will lay my eyes on every morning and every night! Plus, it makes my wall look pretty.

- I am going to think about my day and actually study things that I have questions about.
- Along with my scriptures, I am going to study the words of the Prophets
- Lastly, my patriarchal blessing will become a daily read as well

b) I'm not monitoring my entertainment as well as I should. I'm not exactly watching rated R movies all the time, but I'm guilty of watching PG-13 movies that aren't the best PG-13 movies ever. I'm pretty sure some of them drive away the spirit. Whether it's violence, language, sensuality, I don't need to be watching it. I learned from a dear friend that the spirit is very sensitive and can be gone in an instant. So what am I gonna do about it? I'll tell you!
- I'm going to watch primarily PG and G movies (Tangled anyone?) I'll watch some PG-13 movies here and there, but unless I know it's super clean, I'll refrain.
- I'm just not going to watch as many movies in general. There are so many other things I could be doing with my time instead of watching TV.
- Lastly, all of these things apply to Television shows too. Goodbye CSI!

c) I don't listen to very much church music. Given I don't listen to much music at all, but when I do I think I'll strive to listen to piano pieces or church songs as opposed to lots of rock, pop and such. I'll still listen to fun pop! Just not as much.
- Cleaned my iPod out and removed stuff I never listen to and stuff I shouldn't listen to
- Got some church music from my roommate, as well as LOTS of Disney!!!! Woot!

d) I don't serve those around me as much as I could. The very soul of the Gospel comes from loving one another! And what is a perfect way to show someone that you love them? By serving them! So.... here's what I'll do!
- When I have the thought to do something nice for someone, I'll do it! No second thought!
- I'll keep an eye on my friends to see if they need anything from me! If they do, I'll come to their rescue.
- Be nice to people at work even if I'm grumpy. They might be having a hard day too and the least I can do is help them out.

I'm actually really excited to start this! I'm thinking that it will have some good effects on my life. I know I'm busy with work and school, but nothing should be keeping my from the Lord. <3>

2 comments:

Katrina said...

sounds like some excellent goals, Ky! :) Good luck with it all! You can do it!

I just this week decided to watch more closely what I was watching when I wanted to "Vej"(spelling??)
It's tough to find more to do than to just flip on some random TV show, but I'm sure it will be more worthwhile in the end!

Love you! Sorry I haven't called as much as I've hoped to since you left. Hopefully I'll get better at that starting this week. Don't hate me if I don't though! :)

Barb said...

Wow! I'm working on all the same things and I am 49! Your way ahead of the curve! great goals! I am proud of you!